[Tagging] symmetrical guardrails

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sun Jul 12 01:12:47 UTC 2015

> On Jul 12, 2015, at 4:41 AM, John Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:
>
> Depending upon which side of the road the guardrail is on, either the left side or right side may be inner. If there is a distinct inner and outer side, the inner side will always be towards the traffic.

Japanese motorway barriers.

https://goo.gl/maps/7iZrg <https://goo.gl/maps/7iZrg> Countryside
https://goo.gl/maps/qNir5 <https://goo.gl/maps/qNir5> Urban

There are some guardrails which share support poles with the one for the opposite road, the total set being about 50-80cm wide.
If they used separates poles, and had any kind of a gap between them, I could see drawing two ways to represent both guardrails.

Unless it is very easy to map both sides of the guardrail ( there is a gap) or putting two ways running in opposite directions on the same nodes, (to represent both guardrails), wouldn’t a “both” value of some kind (like for embankment) be reasonable in some instances?

Javbw