[Tagging] How to recognize memorial from monument?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:04:01 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 11.07.2015 um 13:03 schrieb Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl>:
>
> Definitions on Wiki are not clear and I think they need some love to make them easier to use in practice:

+1, basically these are similar features and there are no clear distinctive criteria to decide edge cases. The difference is size / importance: memorials are smaller. The walk into criterion is often useful but should not be seen too strict. E.g. this obelisk, weighting 455 tons and with 32 m height, IMHO is a monument and not just a memorial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateran_Obelisk
but it is completely massive and therefore not accessible in the inside. Similarly this monument is not just a memorial: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rushmore

(FWIW, in osm this is currently a leisure=park ;-)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3508600 )

Also this seems to be a monument:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2222295
but currently it is tagged as memorial. If this current tagging was agreed on as preferred way of tagging we will have a hard time finding (bigger?) memorials that will be tagged as monuments....

cheers
Martin