[Tagging] How to recognize memorial from monument?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Jul 20 21:11:32 UTC 2015

Seems like this message got lost (in the moderation maybe), so I send it
again:

W dniu 12.07.2015 17:04, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):

> importance: memorials are smaller. The walk into criterion is often
> useful but should not be seen too strict. E.g. this obelisk, weighting
> 455 tons and with 32 m height, IMHO is a monument and not just a
> memorial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateran_Obelisk
> but it is completely massive and therefore not accessible in the
> inside. Similarly this monument is not just a memorial:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rushmore

My intuition is that we need another rather clear and simple criterion:
it's monument if it's high enough. All the examples on the Wiki are at
least 15 m high and your ones are also the same.

That would be quite straightforward to add to Wiki definition and the
result would be much easier to recognize. It could be something like (**
marks a planned addition):

"A memorial object, especially large (one can go inside, walk on or
through it) *or high enough (at least a dozen or so meters)* and made of
stone, built to remember, show respect to a person or group of people or
to commemorate an event."

down" [A. Cohen]