[Tagging] Highway proposed/planned distinction

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:05:39 UTC 2015

On 14/07/2015 18:23, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're about to abandon rendering highway=proposed in the osm-carto
> (default OSM map style), but we think it's still good to show those
> which are closer to be really constructed:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1654
>
> Is highway=planned a good choice to be rendered instead or some other
> tagging scheme would be better?

If you're going to decide to not render "highway=proposed" then just
make that decision - if you render "planned" instead, people who want
their pet schemes to be rendered will just change "proposed" to
"planned" and carry on as before, just as when "abandoned" railways
somehow magically became "disused" when "abandoned" was no longer
rendered.  Some of the "proposed" highways* are clearly just flights of
fancy with no timescale or money behind them.  Unlike with abandoned
railways, there's no dirty great scar on the ground to see, so they're
not easily verifiably either.

Cheers,

Andy

* like http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/290450974/history