[Tagging] highway=crossing/crossing=traffic_signals

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Jul 15 10:33:55 UTC 2015

Thanks

"This allows them to be rendered as a orientated feature, rather than
just as a node."

I know little of rendering rules, but the French render appears to
rotate node icon to suit

http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=20&lat=49.01049&lon=8.3876&layers=B0000000FFFFFF

https://github.com/cquest/osmfr-cartocss/blob/abe144cfb375eb7fb403992f06924c40120c6cbf/other.mss#L3547

To me, it seems worse for mapnik to miss the rendering of 75% of traffic
lights than not displaying any of them. If you can see some the
assumption is that that's all of them.

Dave F.

On 15/07/2015 10:09, Richard Mann wrote:
> Example in OSM default render:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.75352/-1.26340
>
> and my rendering:
> http://www.transportparadise.co.uk/busmap/?zoom=3&lat=51.75325&lon=-1.26182&layers=B0FT
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com
> <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 15/07/2015 08:42, Richard Mann wrote:
>
>         I've taken to adding a way on the alignment of the crossing
>         (with highway=footway+crossing=traffic_signals as tags). This
>         allows them to be rendered as a orientated feature, rather
>         than just as a node.
>

>     Do you have an example?
>

>         I guess the nodes aren't rendered because otherwise you'd have
>         traffic light symbols dotted all over the place on some junctions.
>

>     I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. It should clarify
>     routing slightly. They don't need to be rendered until zoomed
>     right in close.
>

>     Cheers
>     Dave F.
>

>     ---