[Tagging] Local highways classifications

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:29:12 UTC 2015

I actually disagree with this criticism.  I think it is appropriate to tag
a road based on its real-life designated classification.  My reason for
saying this is because it is entirely objective.  There have been similar
discussions before which generally conclude with a recommendation to make
what is essentially a subjective decision.

In a previous message I wrote what I considered to be a hierarchy of
highway=* tags.  This would be adequate for simple routers to calculate a
route.  To fix the problem routers need to look at lanes, width, speed
limits etc., and taggers need to tag these more thoroughly.  It could be
that a tertiary or unclassified road *is* better than a primary road
*because* it happens to have more lanes, or is straighter.

Andrew