[Tagging] Local highways classifications

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Jul 16 13:19:26 UTC 2015

Japan has a bad habit of tagging tunnels in remote mountain passes (on trunk roads) as motorways because they are toll roads and have no pedestrian traffic - but they are just a toll trunk road in a tunnel. it is not a motorway.

They have an even more horrible practice of aligning the unclassified - trunk roads by andministrative levels - so a 100 year old national road which is windy and single lane is “primary” - but the modern 4 lane bypass road built around it 15 years ago is “tertiary” because it is a regional road with no shield designation.

They want to preserve the Japanese method of displaying the routes in the Standard Japanese style.

in Tokyo, it works. In the suburban countryside - it is a routing nightmare for western routers - as the road designations do not match their usage/purpose in many places.

Breaking the “admin”  classifications off the roads usage levels would be very useful ONLY if there was some additional rendering of the admin designation levels on the road (like a different casing color or dashes or stronger colors or something) - something visible to go with the OSM road level choices so whole countries are not “mapping for the renderer".

Javbw