[Tagging] Disputed area

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 21 00:13:00 UTC 2015

moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com> writes:

> How about:
> * Map each boundary as that boundary's country sees it, allowing
> overlaps. So the France boundary relation is according to France's
> views, and vice-versa for Italy.
> * Create a relation containing the boudary relations as members, with
> roles litteraly set to either "opinion_a" or "opinion_b", and the tags
> type=dispute, dispute:opinion:fr=a, dispute:opinion:it=b,
> dispute:opinion:united_nations=a, dispute:negociations=peacefull (not
> suggesting that the UN either sides with France or is the sole
> pan-governmental organisation whom OSM should tag the opinion of).
> * Setup a QA looking for overlaping boundaries without an acompanying
> dispute relation
> * Work on renderings to take this into account.

That and what I proposed sound similar.

I think the hard part is making this work for some real cases.  So
writing up the rules for a proposal and then describing which ways and
relations would exist for a decent number of real cases would shake out
whether it is adequate.  Besides the case that kicked off the discussion
- which is a dispute that's just barely a dispute, where the parties
agree that they aren't going to agree and will go on indefinitely making
competing claims that don't matter, there are surely more tense
disputes, and those may or may not turn out to be tricky.

One thing that perhaps might want to be captured in other disputes is
what happens when one country actually occupies and controls the
disputed territory.  There, there's a de facto border and a claim.