[Tagging] Disputed area

Eric Sibert courrier at eric.sibert.fr
Tue Jul 21 10:43:52 UTC 2015

> One thing that perhaps might want to be captured in other disputes is
> what happens when one country actually occupies and controls the
> disputed territory.  There, there's a de facto border and a claim.

Yes, I started with the easy case where not country is occupying the
disputed area and both countries agree on the limits of the disputed
area. There should be a similar case between USA and Canada for
islands near Vancouver.

Although not so completely pacific is the case of Perejil/Tourah
island between Spain and Morocco with status quo and no one occupying
it.

In opposite there are a lot of claims that seems mostly theoretical
like Spain other Gibraltar, Morocco other Ceuta and Melilla,
Madagascar other Juan de Nova and Europa islands (both inhabited but
controlled/administrated by France)...
Tromelin island controlled by France but with fishing rights share
with Maurice republic that is claiming the island.

So I don't know were to put the limit on which territories should be
tagged as disputed in OSM. May be we can start with areas recognized
as such by booth governments and not occupies by any one :-p

There is also the case of sea/water disputes like the one recently
solved by international tribunal between Chile and Peru.

Eric