[Tagging] theatre vs concert_hall / Re: Rendering dept questions

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Jul 24 13:41:56 UTC 2015

Daniel Koć wrote on 2015-07-24 14:43:
> 2. There was also a request for rendering concert halls:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1677
>
> [...] Two most obvious propositions would be:
> a) amenity=concert_hall
> b) specific tagging sub-scheme for amenity=theatre

Many places where concerts are given, are multifunctional in fact,
such as playing both operas and symphonic concerts, or have speech
theatre one day and chamber_music the other.

Thus having one master value for performing arts, currently
amenity=theatre, makes more sense to me than splitting this into
two dozens of subcategories.

The latter are characterised by the theatre:genre tag, the only
flaw with the current design of genre is that I cannot assign
multiple values to the same venue.

tom