[Tagging] access=designated wiki

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:00:32 UTC 2015

On 24/07/2015 11:35 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     Access is also used (misused?) for things other than highways ...
>     A hotel may be for 'designated' persons only .. eg employees,
>     students only for an apartment building.
>     An entry may be 'private' for residence only.
>

> I don't have problems with the access tag on other things than highways.
> But what does access=designated mean in case you do not further
> specify the "designated to XYZ" ?
> Designated is only useful when the group of users/vehicles/.. is
> specified.

That could be best served by a tag designated=value ? The value could be
taken as text by a render thus providing for all possibilities.
Much simpler than the highway access thing of individual tags of
motor_vehicle=yes etc.

> The examples you give also fall under the access=private definition IMHO.

Disagree. But 'splitting hairs' to do it.

access=private is defined as "Only with permission of the owner on an
individual basis"
access=designated is defined as "A preferred or designated route for a
specific vehicle type or types,"

So "private" means individual permission, designated means permission
for a group/type.

The above hotel I used as an example maybe open to all the employees of
a firm, thus 'designated'. If it were open to only to individually
granted employees of a firm then it would be private.
The permission is not on an individual basis but 'designated' to a group
of people, not individually.

I don't think access=designated can be replaced with access=private.