[Tagging] Private vs. designated (was Re: access=designated wiki)

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:24:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Disagree. But 'splitting hairs' to do it.
>
> access=private is defined as "Only with permission of the owner on an
> individual basis"
> access=designated is defined as "A preferred or designated route for a
> specific vehicle type or types,"
>
> So "private" means individual permission, designated means permission for
> a group/type.

Since in your example of the hotel that is only open to people serving in
the army, it's still "private" for me as someone has to assign the label
"serving in the army" to an individual. You have to show me some papers
that you are a soldier before you can access.

The same for the students. You first allow someone as student and thereby
you grant them access. So indirectly it's access on individual basis.

So for me designated can be checked without asking someone to show a piece
of paper, just by looking at the vehicle (or lack of vehicle for foot).
This gives me problems for taxi's. You give someone a taxi driver permit
and then you allow them access to certain lanes.

Nevertheless I would rather keep designated to vehicle types as listed in
the access page and not extend it to other groups of people such as
"students of univ Foo" or "soldiers of country Bar". As soon as you need
papers to prove you are allowed to enter I will keep mapping it as private.

But then it becomes less clear what one has to do with  customers or when
you need a ticket...

So difficult to properly formalize this.