[Tagging] landuse=military

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:12:05 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 27.07.2015 um 02:41 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> Martin brought up that in some counties, the military is the police.
>
> Defining all the police stations as military facilities would equally be wrong.

The actual situation is the other way round in Italy: part of the police (Carabinieri) is part of the military with all consequences (e.g. their head is the ministry of defense), including that the area of their "police station" is considered military area (with signs like any other military area).

The situation for the French Gendarmerie National is similar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Gendarmerie although they have changed it a bit in 2009

In Italy we do map the barracks of the Carabinieri as military in OSM. And the same time as amenity=police
See also here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IT:Tag:amenity%3Dpolice
(at the bottom there is an (incomplete) list of some of the Italian police forces and how to distinguish them in tags)

cheers
Martin