[Tagging] works_as_highway=primary

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:51:58 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 28.07.2015 um 11:02 schrieb Pavel ZbytovskĂ˝ <zbytovsky at gmail.com>:
>
> 1) technically the small secondary roads part works as primary road network. So we would suggest a tag similar to works_as_highway=primary. Do you think its ok? Any suggestions?

from what you have written it seems to me that these are tagging errors: if a road "works as primary" it should get the primary tag in osm.

Country specific deviations that result from following different criteria (like road maintenance class / entity, or physical criteria, etc.) should be "repaired" (map those properties differently and not in the highway tag) and the highway tag should be used like it is elsewhere.

OSM is a global dataset and following everywhere the same criteria to determine the highway tag is important for a smooth usage of the data across borders.

Cheers
Martin