[Tagging] works_as_highway=primary

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Wed Jul 29 13:08:33 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 07:11 AM, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> Routers can already use 'prefer primary to secondary' worldwide.
> Nowhere in the OSM world is secondary defined as better than primary.
> In any given area. a car router can confidently prefer 'primary'.

Based on what John Willis has said about tagging in Japan, I don't think
this is true.

 From what I understand from his previous posts to this and other OSM
mailing lists, the OSM tagging in Japan follows the official
classification, and often results in small windy roads through cities
that are historically important being marked as primary, while modern
bypass roads are marked as secondary or even lower.

I think that this breaks a router's idea that primary is "better" than
secondary, and I think that this problem is exactly why people advocate
for not following official classification.

--Andrew