[Tagging] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:23:20 UTC 2015

On 3/06/2015 10:04 AM, pmailkeey . wrote:

> OSM's k=v design is completely a serious and unnecessary flaw.
> Similarly are 'categories' like man_made', and 'amenity'.
>
> Why can we not simply stick to hard facts rather guessing what
> categor(ies) an object fits in
>

> OSM is 90% argument, 5% dead-end discussions and 5% progress. The
> whole is not a marketable product; it's not fit to be rated as 'beta'.
> Is this a significant cause of ex-mappers ? It's a flipping brilliant
> project but sadly lacking a great leader.

Design?
A horse designed by a committee? = a camel.
Yes it has flaws. It also has enhancements .. like going for a long
while without water.
I view OSM the same way .. it could be better .. and it could be much
worse.

Hard Facts?
  OSM has an organisation. Some (most) may not like some of it.
Any collection of objects needs some organisation ... look in a library
for instance.

MOST use OSM. 90% will be out there adding things. Only a few join here
to add tags, and fewer still try to improve the structure.