[Tagging] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Jun 5 07:31:11 UTC 2015

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 8:26 AM, pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not a fan at all of non-physical road descriptions like primary, tertiary etc.

Japan completely breaks OSM road descriptions, and uses the classifications above tertiary to match their governmental classification scheme - even when a “primary” road couldn’t otherwise meet the definition of a tertiary road if it didn’t have a “primary” government road shield from 1910.  But it does make OSM consistent with existing Japanese mapping traditions.

Javbw