[Tagging] How to tag a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (US:DMV)

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Jun 9 06:48:42 UTC 2015

> On Jun 9, 2015, at 3:12 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> There's a whole set of assumptions about each type of goverment office that would be impossible to
> consistently capture with generic tags.  Here the "Duck" of duck typing says call it by whatever it is known locally.

I think there is still an umbrella it can fit under, saying it is related to cars and licensing. 

A place that registers your car and a place that licenses you for driving may be a different facility (or combo), but the government office(s) that handles that can at least have some kind of tag to get put in some kind of group. 


or civic_admin=motor_vehicle

We don’t assume the government is selling cars or car parts, and administration isn’t related to enforcement (tickets/impound), sales, nor maintenance, so it isn’t so ambiguous. 

and the name will tell the locals the rest. (Liscence Center, Automobile Registration center, Dept of Motor Vehecles, etc) 

Unless we want to get into the same subcategory system that shop=* should have, and we start documenting specific government facilities (which I wanted to do with civic_admin and landuse=civic). 


More information about the Tagging mailing list