[Tagging] How to tag a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (US:DMV)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 9 12:37:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> 2015-06-09 12:27 GMT+02:00 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>:
>> There's got to be a better way to do this.  Oregon, this would be handled
>> by the DMV in rural areas, and the Department of Environmental Quality in
>> the Metro and Lane County regions.  In Oklahoma, this would be handled by
>> the Oklahoma Tax Commission, same as you'd get a fishing license.
>> Driver's licenses are similarly weird; Oregon you'd do the whole thing in
>> a Soviet breadline-like marathon at the DMV.  Oklahoma, you go to a
>> Department of Public Safety office, and have a reserve state trooper
>> perform your driving test, then you get an 8x11 inch piece of paper that
>> says you're allowed to drive in Oklahoma.  If you want to drive in other
>> states, then you go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission and pay the $35 to get
>> the card other states recognize (and can be used as state ID).
> that's why I suggested to use a multi tag approach. One tag to say it is a
> government office, one to say at which level (admin level) and then tags
> for the stuff you can do there (property list) or about the general
> classification (e.g. tax office, ministry of education, torture agency, ...)

How would you tag a shop that sells tax stamps and licenses, but is not a
government office, and does not provide other services?  The Oklahoma Tax
Commission uses such a system throughout the state (authorized "tag
agents") to save people the hassle of having to drive down to their office
on the capitol mall in Oklahoma City.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20150609/1a3a5450/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list