[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jun 17 11:17:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> One could tag every power outlet that seems to be in a public space.  For
> many years I charged my laptop at
>
>> airports by finding the places the cleaning crew plugged in their vacuum
>> cleaners.  But that sort of accidental
>>  charging station is of a different character to a designated place.
>>

> Why?
> A random outlet is unlikely to be well positioned, maintained or
> universally usable for device charging. People
> are free to map those outlets, but rendering should be able to choose if
> they are included.
> I don't see these as the same feature at all.

Before it became disallowed, I used to carry a flathead screwdriver (or
multitool) for this task, as many floor mounted, and sometimes wall
mounted, outlets are covered by a device designed to protect it from foot
or cart traffic when not in use.  Now that such devices are disallowed from
many public spaces where you're likely to be stuck busy waiting forever,
I've found a quarter, dime or the head of a key often gets the job done...