[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Blood donation 2

Ruben Maes ruben.maes96 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 23:49:21 UTC 2015

> On 21/06/2015 3:03 AM, André Pirard wrote:
>
> On 2015-06-20 14:46, Ruben Maes wrote :
>
> After the proposal Donation was rejected, I tried to address the
> issues that were raised in a new proposal using
> healthcare=blood_donation:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Blood_donation_2
>
> You are of course welcome to point out any flaws.
> You are also welcome to improve the language if you like: make phrases
> more fluent, fix mistakes, etc.
>

> Looks good at first read.

Thanks. :)

>     Thanks for taking care of this life-saving service!

No problem, I'm a plasma donor myself!

[More below ...]

>     Some contributors will recall that facilities, amenities, healthcare
>     etc. are not map objects but attributes of them, usually a building
>     of which the tags apply such as address.
>
>     For example, blood donation may periodically take place in a school,
>     giving (for example in one of the possible LST formats):
>
>     building=school
>
>     addr:street=*
>
>     phone=*    (that of the school (main tag))

>     building:blood_donation=yes
>
>     blood_donation:phone=*
>
> If periodic then the times when blood donation is present would also be
> needed!
>
> blood_donation:schedule= times, same format as opening-times tag?
> That would be more important than a phone number (which might only be manned
> during the opening hours/days).

>     The tricky case is when blood donation happens in mobile vehicles.
>
>     That recalls us mapping clouds and the horse in the meadow.
>
> There is no suggestion in the proposal to tag either mobile or periodic
> facilities.
>
> So the proposal should be judged on the permanent facilities ONLY.
>
> Extending it to cover other things ?
>
> IMO I would not.
>
> A mobile service could be seen as periodic ...
> A periodic service may not have a fixed period/schedule ...
> I think the fixed facility can be mapped and verified easily.
> Mobile and/or scheduled services are much more difficult to map and verify.

In the original proposal I included a tag for mobile collections but
after reading the reactions on this list I realised it may be too much
of a hassle and not worth it.

I also thought about adding a url where you could check donation times
instead of tagging those. Unfortunately the website of my country's
division of the Red Cross (which operates the most important fixed and
mobile donation centres) has no separate pages for them and their
"donation place search engine" does not support direct linking to
results.

As for donation vehicles ... I wouldn't even think to map them. They
can just park anywhere, whereas with the normal mobile collections
there are fixed spots they always visit.