[Tagging] Concrete kerbs in highway

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Jun 25 15:38:08 UTC 2015

Going with the theme of lazy wins out, having to convert a way into a dual
carriageway is a pain. That is why using the tag kerb=center would 1) tell
routing engines that left turns are not permitted and 2) possibly render
more accurately. Dual carriageways renders [1] as if there is median when
in fact it is only a kerb. This process could be expanded to include Jersey
barriers.

An alternative could be barrier=center/left/right,
barrier=kerb/Jersey_barrier

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.43575/-122.33675

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have a question about how to tag concrete kerbs that prevent vehicles
>>> from crossing. Below are links to two different examples. Creating a dual
>>> carriageway doesn't seem correct. Turn restrictions would help vehicles
>>> routing, but that doesn't tell emergency vehicles that they can drive over
>>> the kerb if necessary.  Would adding a tag, kerb=center, be the best method
>>> of tagging these highways?
>>>
>>> How do you tag these features?
>>>

>> I'd map them as dual carriageway. If you want to go into details you
>> could use the area relation (type=area) and add barrier tags for the
>> dividing kerb (implicit) or draw the kerb and add it as barrier object
>> (explicit). This relation type is currently not evaluated AFAIK.
>>

> Being lazy and not having anything that'll do AutoCAD-like fillets and
> chamfers (seriously, how do we still not have shape tools beyond (and even
> then, JOSM only) basic rectangles and diameter-defined circles anywhere?),
> I'd be strongly inclined to just draw the kerb between the two lane=1
> carriageways.

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch