[Tagging] Concrete kerbs in highway

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 23 12:35:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> I have a question about how to tag concrete kerbs that prevent vehicles
>> from crossing. Below are links to two different examples. Creating a dual
>> carriageway doesn't seem correct. Turn restrictions would help vehicles
>> routing, but that doesn't tell emergency vehicles that they can drive over
>> the kerb if necessary.  Would adding a tag, kerb=center, be the best method
>> of tagging these highways?
>>
>> How do you tag these features?
>>

> I'd map them as dual carriageway. If you want to go into details you could
> use the area relation (type=area) and add barrier tags for the dividing
> kerb (implicit) or draw the kerb and add it as barrier object (explicit).
> This relation type is currently not evaluated AFAIK.

Being lazy and not having anything that'll do AutoCAD-like fillets and
chamfers (seriously, how do we still not have shape tools beyond (and even
then, JOSM only) basic rectangles and diameter-defined circles anywhere?),
I'd be strongly inclined to just draw the kerb between the two lane=1
carriageways.