[Tagging] Breakdown bays?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:03:12 UTC 2015

Am 27.02.2015 um 22:44 schrieb Martin Vonwald:

>> Did sleep one night and now think we should include bays and lanes
>> within the lanes:-Tagging
>>
>> lanes=3
>> lanes:forward=2
>> lanes:backward=1
>> access:lanes:forward=yes|yes|emergency
>> access:lanes:backward=yes|emergency
>>

> To me it just does not feel right. I don't see a "lane" there...

Do you mean you see a difference between bay and lane or are both no
lanes at all.

>> All together I am not happy with the description of lanes=* and
>> lanes:*=* anymore. Where is it useful as we already do not count bicycle
>> lanes but do count exclusive bus or taxi lanes and even ones with access
>> forbidden but wide enough for motorized vehicles.
>>

> The key lanes and its subkeys are a misconception par excellence, no doubt
> there.

+1

>> Would prefer to change lanes=* and lanes:*=* to be the numbers with
>> general access allowed and adding all additional lanes with access:lanes:
>>

> I'm all in! Changing the meaning of a key that's used about 5 million times
> might get a little tricky though.

First, I need more information which software uses this tag atm and how
it is used/spread across the globe. Not sure how far lanes:-tagging is
spead so far either. Needs a separate thread.

>> lanes=2
>> lanes:forward=1
>> lanes:backward=1
>>

> I wouldn't use lanes=2 in this example. 1+1=2

The wiki says to use lanes=* and at least one of lanes:backward/forward=*.

I usually add all if not 1+1=2 where only lanes=2 is needed but as
demonstration I tried to be exact as possible and rather include
unnecessary tags.

> access:lanes:forward=yes|no|no
>> access:lanes:backward=yes|no
>> bicycle:lanes:forward=yes|designated|no
>> bicycle:lanes:backward=yes|yes
>> bus:lanes:forward=yes|no|designated
>> bus:lanes:backward=yes|designated
>> taxi:lanes:backward=yes|yes
>>

> That's an excellent example why the current access scheme sucks for this.
> traffic_designation:lanes:forward=none|bicycle|bus

Would work in this case.

> traffic_designation:lanes:backward=none|bicycle;taxi

traffic_designation:lanes:backward=none|bicycle;bus;taxi

Not the same, see below.

> Wouldn't that be A LOT easier?

But not fit real world as we loose the different access tags per mode.
Above example has a bus lane (blue sign) where taxi and bicycle is
allowed (additional white sign "frei").

Cheers fly