[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:45:57 UTC 2015

On 3/03/2015 8:38 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> There are two issues here:
>
> * Use of OSM to store demographic surveys, particularly using tags
> that imply the feature is public.
>
> * The wider issue of mapping within a restricted place.  Similar
> issues occur for amenities inside places (ATM's, AED's, Bike tool
> stations, toilets, drinking water).  For example a mall toilet is
> public in a sense, but time restricted.  Here access=destination
> (access restrictions are the same as some larger place).
>
> Basically my view is that the scope of the map should primarily focus
> on things the public can access, with smatterings of significant
> things the public can see or have heard about.  Private toilets have
> no role here, and are just one step up from mapping private carpets,
> house pets and dust motes :-).
>

> The question is what action, if any, should be taken?

My thoughts are;

1) The data it self should be left on the data base. (May be usefull for
some. Stops someone reinstating the data.)

2) new key ... private=* ?
thus change these from amenity=toilet to private=toilet ... also
provides for other 'private' things being entered ..eg  swimming pools ..

In an emergency some of these 'private' things are usefull .. for
instance swimming pools are  a good water source for fighting fires.
Easy to map form satellite views too.