[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Mar 3 08:11:19 UTC 2015

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 12:10 PM, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 10:44 +0900, John Willis wrote:
>> There are all kinds of buildings we map that are completely private (houses, for example), yet are visible from publicly accessible places.
>>
> OK, so perhaps we need to tag only those private toilets that are
> completely visible from publicly accessible places ?

I was just trying to say there are plenty of private places mapped that most people can never legally access, and in many cases, ever see either (because we are mapping from aerial imagery), but still makes it onto the map.

Sorry for being the noob with opinions (when it comes to the dataset, I truly am), but I thought the dataset would be flexible enough to take it, but I guess there are other solutions if the data is useful only to yourself. But it seems that the researchers are trying to share the data through the OSM database with each other. I dont’ know if that is a good or a bad thing.

> I see a problem here, some parts of the world refer to 'toilet' as
> meaning only that part you sit on….

I believe that is exactly what the person is mapping - houses or locations of actual toilet fixtures, to see their distribution in areas where toilets are not present in every residence.

the idea of a private=* tag was interesting, so I commented.

I concede that the rendered map itself (or the public routing dataset) has no need whatsoever for residential toilets to be mapped in this way, but having them in the dataset doesn’t do any real harm, right? Especially if we have a tag (private=* ) which would be purposefully ignored by by data customers unless you are looking for it. it might make it easy for people who are using the OSM database for unimaginable uses (before i came to OSM I had no idea people were into mapping power lines, for example), and having some kind of flexibility to allow further and further edge use cases to use the system just makes OSM usable for more and more researchers. Right?

Anyways, I like the idea of the private=* but maybe I don’t know it’s downsides.

Javbw