[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Mar 3 09:31:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:26 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> "access=no or access=private do not seem to make much sense"
>> Toilet may be open only to to a limited public - in military base, only
>> for employees or out of order.
>

> IMHO this doesn't qualify as "open to public" and the tag amenity=toilets
> should not be applied there.
> E.g. the toilets in my home are also open to a limited subset of the
> public, me, my family, our visitors, occassionally even friends of friends
> of friends if they ask nicely.

Your home toilet is very clearly private (I expect :-).

The military base is a bit different, though maybe not enough different.
On a tour a member of the public may be able to enter.   The same can be
said for public buildings like the White House, or the halls of congress.

---
But let's get back to the question we're sitting on.  Can we retag known
home toilets, or should we be purging them?
Are we all agreed that in fully private amenities have little role in OSM?