[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 22:12:52 UTC 2015

> Here's a draft of a wiki tag for this:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Mapping_Private_Property

This seems to be written with a certain cultural, legal and political
background. E.g. there are even people questioning the concept of private
property in general. Particularily this sentence might need
reconsideration: "Significant private objects such as building outlines or
swimming pools should be visible from a public place."

> I'm not sure this fully captures the complexity though.  We want building
> outlines and perhaps private swimming pools as landuse indicators.
> OSM does indeed catalog objects available only to paying customers, like
> water taps, movie viewing screens, and sanitary dumps.
> But I feel we don't want to direct map readers to put rubbish in private
> bins, urinate in people's home toilets, for draw water from people's sinks.

mapping a private bin, home toilet or kitchen sink is different from using
them.

cheers,
Martin