[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:46:35 UTC 2015

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Using the relation, I've added step area to the Sydney Opera House
>     .. it is a very wide area ..
>
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4645750
>

> IMHO you don't need the lateral ways in this case, but they won't harm
> anyway.
> I suggest you inverse the direction of either the upper or the lower
> way to make it easier for dataconsumers, but I am more an ignorant
> than a programmer and maybe someone capable of programming might
> easily check and reverse automatically for rendering purposes.

Yep. I'll correct that tomorrow .. Thanks. Might eventually be part of
the checks performed by the editor/s if this gets up.
Might need to do another large area of steps to show one without the
laterals.

> There also seems to be a contradiction in that the "standard" steps
> ways extend beyond the area and up to the center of the road. I'd
> suggest to split them and have them end at the first riser (= the way
> with the role lower) and tag the remaining connection as
> highway=footway and likely with a different surface tag.

Those were there before I started .. They are just simplified for easy
of the mapper I'd say.. the Bing image shows the truth .. the road is
about that wide if you include the footpath .. well it was a road there
before the construction started some time ago .. wonder when that will
finish.. and if the road will return. It will need another survey once
that construction finishes.

I've found the steps that vary in width from top to bottom .. Lisbon
Portugal .. google makes it so easy to travel :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queluz_National_Palace