[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:24:23 UTC 2015

> Using the relation, I've added step area to the Sydney Opera House .. it
> is a very wide area ..
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4645750

IMHO you don't need the lateral ways in this case, but they won't harm
anyway.
I suggest you inverse the direction of either the upper or the lower way to
make it easier for dataconsumers, but I am more an ignorant than a
programmer and maybe someone capable of programming might easily check and
reverse automatically for rendering purposes.

There also seems to be a contradiction in that the "standard" steps ways
extend beyond the area and up to the center of the road. I'd suggest to
split them and have them end at the first riser (= the way with the role
lower) and tag the remaining connection as highway=footway and likely with
a different surface tag.

cheers,
Martin