[Tagging] Bus route relations. Forward/backward tag

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Mar 4 11:55:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:58 AM, √Čric Gillet <gill3t.3ric+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> There are still cases where forward/backward are useful with P2-routes.
>> E.g. a route with a loop and some members used twice but different
>> directions.
>>

> Shouldn't one just duplicate the stop_positions in the relation, and add
> ways twice in order, without roles ?
>
> Also, as Jo said, the public transport v2 scheme is cleaner as each
> variant of the route have its own relation, making loops in routes a rare
> case.

You say that, but take a look at routes 108, 222CC, 222CW, 306, and TDT in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/36.1501/-95.9415&layers=T .  This is a
problem, a lot of transit systems have equally bizarre routes, particularly
when systems are underdeveloped and overstretched like this one.  Would be
nice if we had a tagging scheme that didn't think of routes as purely
linear, or tools that could handle linear objects rationally.