[Tagging] recent change to ranger_station proposal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 03:12:50 UTC 2015

On 5/03/2015 12:32 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> In the end I think the better tag would have been
> amenity=visitor_contact_facility.

tourism=visitor_centre ?

But there are already two existing tags that could be used;
tourism=information  "/May include Tourist information centres and
offices./ " http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dinformation
information=office    "/An office where you can get information about a
town or region./" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:information

> Ranger station is commonly mapped in the USA, but has a murky
> meaning.  In the US national and state parks,
> the visitor center and ranger station have overlap, with the more
> visitor oriented ranger jobs happening in the
> visitor center, and the more police oriented activities in a separate
> (sometimes unmarked) building.

In Australia the visitor centre can be physically separate from the
'ranger station'. Where physically separated they have separate
functions too.