[Tagging] Proposed: landuse=civic_admin - looking for comments.

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Mar 5 13:35:02 UTC 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 9:03 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have some questions:
> according to the proposal,
>
> "This is for complexes who's primary purpose is the citizens interaction with government agents "
> What do you propose for government offices which are not or rarely accessible by citizens?

If the offices are in support of those functions, such as the office buildings used by legislators away from the main hall ( the U.S. Congress has offices for support staff away from the Capitol building) then I think that is acceptable. What I don't want to see is this being used on maintenance facilities and train yards. Most of the uses are for city or regional buildings, and most of those are not visited by most people: water boards, city planning offices, records clerks, but are visited by citizens in that field.  The city admin and regional support buildings are fairly easy to identify both here in Japan and the U.S - it's services where it gets dicey, so currently it is separated out.

> What about courthouses? I think it would be helpful, to define also the term "government", because you explicitly include legislative bodies, what would be seen very strange e.g. in Germany (where the term "government" is restricted to the executive bodies).

That's an interesting distinction - the exceutive and legislative branches create the law (somewhat jointly) and the judicial branch oversees its fairness, or as a place, acts as a judicial center for punishment sentencing or dispute settlement.

City hall, the mayor and  the council feel more connected than the superior court judge and city attorney do - usually they have offices separate from city hall, whereas the legislative and executive bodies are somewhat intertwined.

You suggested (I think, in another thread) that you would like to see Judicial get special treatment, and I would like to propose landuse=judicial at a later time. Courthouses and city halls are quite different to me.

> I also dislike the idea to encourage people tagging stuff as "building=industrial", I think we should encourage them to be more explicit, e.g. building=production_hall, or building=warehouse, etc. (the same goes for building=retail, commercial)

Sounds great to me. But when arial mapping, I know 100% that this is a car manufacturing plant ( like Ota Subaru factory, or Niisato Mitsuba car parts factory) but I know 0% about the individual buildings. Detailed tags through more building definitions, a subtag, such as industrial=warehouse or building:industrial=warehouse are totally fine with me if people have the knowledge.  I'm trying to explain the relationship I see between landuse= and building=, and better building definitions would only strengthen that connection (generic - specific).

Some of the civic buildings are defined by amenity (like townhall) so building=office or more generically building=civic are for the lowest level of mapping.

I want a civic subkey or some more amenity keys to further define these buildings or offices as well,  or put on the landuse for the overall facility.

> On a side note, I am somehow astonished by my fellow countrymen that they haven't yet introduced second level of industrial, something like "light_industrial", as the German law knows 2 main types landuse where in English zoning these seem both to be covered by "industrial": "Industriegebiet" and "Gewerbegebiet".

We have the common phrase heavy industry in inglish, and the Japanse must too, as Mitsubishi Heavy industry is their name, but I have no idea what then is light industry - maybe the metal stamping plant in a small building the size of a house in a residential neighborhood is light industry - and japan is overrun with them ( there is one 100m from my house surrounded on all 4 sides by houses) - whereas that is super illegal in most US cities (you have to move to commercial or industrial park for that).

But I have no clue what the dividing line is, as the general public is never told the difference.

Thanks for the great questions & feedback - I look forward to your replies.

どもありがとうございました
(Domo arigatou gozaimashita - thank you very much)

Javbw