[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - register

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Mar 6 11:09:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/register
>
> This is for books where people enter their names, routes and comments.
> These
> books are located on peaks, along trails, in buildings and in caves.
> In German we call them Gipfelbuch, Steigbuch, Hüttenbuch, Gästebuch,
> Höhlenbuch, Pilgerbuch, Turmbuch...
> English terminology seems more ambiguous. I took the word that seems most
> common.

 May be related to the United States Department of Agriculture's National
Forest Service use permits.  Typically a small wooden box with some pencils
and waterproof application cards inside, on which you are either strongly
encouraged or legally obligated to spell out where you're going, who's with
you, when you're expected back, what trailhead you parked at and what your
vehicle's registration plate (or serial number in case of vehicles that
don't require a plate).  Usually no charge (and often there's a warning
encouraging people not to donate cash in the box).  Rangers typically check
these weekly or so, as well as before bad weather, empty out the filled out
cards and resupply them so they know who didn't come back, who needs
rescue, and where they need to hike to in order to warn people to get off
the mountain.