[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Reception Desk

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Mar 7 23:13:53 UTC 2015

Kotya Karapetyan wrote on 2015-03-07 23:19:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de <mailto:andig88 at t-online.de>> wrote:
>
>     And if I'm a visitor how would for example a OSM based navigation system figure out to which company or facility they belong?

It should be found because OSM is a geographical database and the reception, or the multiple receptions
as you asked before, is/are contained in the campus of the facility.

> I think it's a relevant point. I would include the company/hospital/university etc. name in the reception name. Similar to how it's done to the building names in our campus: http://osm.org/go/0EujzVLy6?node=2727694798. Then the routing softawre can indeed
> find the correct way to the needed reception.

-1

OSM is a geographical database and not a yellow-pages listing of hierarchically structured names.
The name="Math Building" of the XYZ university should be found because it is mapped on the campus,
and not because it is named "XYZ university - Math Building" or consequently even worse
"ABC country - DEF town - XYZ university - Math Building"

Your ASML example is not good imho since acronyms are discouraged.

tom