[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Reception Desk

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 07:23:03 UTC 2015

On 8/03/2015 10:22 AM, Andreas Goss wrote:

> And again how would you name it if it was just one of multiple
> recpetions desks for one facility. Facility name => operator=*
> name=Gate 1? So if the reception has no name then name= stays empty?
> Do I use the plant name as operator? Or the company name?

In summary .. how to use the name= tag is defined by the name= wiki ..
and should not be redefined by this proposal.

------------------- Detail
Is it up to the reception_desk tag to say how to use the name= tag?
The name tag should say how to use it .. and it does... "The common
default name." Thinking on it more .. it should be the name given to a
visitor by the firm to say where to go, that would be may preference on
how to use the name tag. If the reception desks are all the same then
there is no point in trying to isolate an individual one by name .. that
is done by the location. If they have separate function/s then surely
that would be indicated by the name? Hypothetically a conundrum can be
posed that has no solution .. but in practice people will overcome
impracticalities by naming them differently even if officially they have
the same name.

And yes .. if it has no name then don't use the name tag .. same as some
roads around here .. they have no name .. and someone has put name=no
name on them ... if it has no name don't use the name= tag.. simple? Yes?

For operator look at the operator tag ...
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator
that also references owner and ownership... and questions on those tag
should be answered by looking at the wiki pages on them .. not posing as
problems of the reception_desk tag? Who do you put on the building as
the operator .. the plant name or the company name ... should be
answered on the operator wiki not the building wiki nor the reception
desk proposal...