[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 9 15:06:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 03:27:17PM +0100, Michael Reichert wrote:
> Hi ael,
>
> Am 2015-03-09 um 15:22 schrieb ael:
> > I have resorted to changing railway=abandoned to railway=disused
> > on several occasions just to get mapnik and friends to render
> > bridges. Bridges over roads and rivers are major features of relevance
> > to tall vehicles and boats, so really should show up on standard
> > rendering.
>
> Would you please change this back?! There also other maps using OSM data
> which rely on good and exact tagging!
> http://openrailwaymap.org
>
> There is no reason to increase "the reputation of OSM-Carto". If it
> renders bad images, they bad and the stylesheet has to be fixed, not the
> data!

Well, I have only changed the tag on the bridges themselves, and only on
ways for which I did the original (and usually any subsequent) survey
and edits. So I am not corrupting other people's data.

Nevertheless, I agree that it is a problem with OSM-Carto, as I
indicated in the OP.

I have just been asked to give a talk about OSM to a local group
including Councillors who are impressed with OSM and considering
using it for Council purposes. There are many historical abandoned
railways in the area (related to mining) and I think that they will be
singularly unimpressed if prominent major bridges on the local lanes
are missing. I suppose that it might be a useful lessson in
distinguishing the data base from the rendering, but there might be
sceptics present. Also I want to keep it simple at least for the first
introduction.

So is there a bug tracker that I have missed for the stylesheet?

ael