[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 9 21:41:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 16:18 +0000, ael wrote:
> > The edits you did can be described as (semi-)vandalism.
>
> That sort of comment is unworthy of OSM.

Indeed.

> Your sort of comment to someone who has contributed years of solid work
> to OSM is enough to make me consider ceasing to contribute.

I'd personally urge you not to take that step ael. OSM is a much bigger
project than a few people unable to discuss matters using reasonable
words.

I experienced a similar reaction analysing why THE Map does not
distinguish between paved and unpaved roads. A good percentage of the
world's roads are unpaved.

Please remember that like the mapping that you and I enjoy, building the
rendering engine is unpaid work. They concentrate their efforts on the
aspects they personally consider important, just as we map the things we
consider important. In both cases, it may not be the shortest route to
the perfect map.

> I will explain and illustrate the distinction between the data base
> and rendering. But that may be way over the heads of some local
> politicians. Or not.

I'd emphasise that THE Map is just a starting point. The local council
could undertake to use the database to generate what ever map they want
to see. Iff they have the skills and time necessary. Sigh !

Don't go suggesting "a pull request" - who knows what that would be
taken as meaning !

David