[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Mar 9 22:19:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>
wrote:

> ...wworthwhile to consider OpenHistoricalMap as a resource for
> recording information about spatial entities that no longer exist in the
> modern
> world. this relieves us of the argument about representing them in OSM.

Somehow I come down on the side that railways have enough footprint on the
current world that
they belong in OSM proper, unlike say old buildings or former shops.

A abandoned railway slowly evolves from a mappable way, to a series of
other things, before disappearing
completely.   But it leaves significant land use patterns on the waterways,
roadways and buildings it once ran near.

I know it's a messy dividing line.  I see it as important context to
current day mapping.