[Tagging] Proposed: landuse=civic_admin - looking for comments.

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 03:31:42 UTC 2015

I've been following this discussion, sort of, and think much of the
confusion could be eliminated if you just fall back to landuse=civic, as
suggested. That way we needn't worry about what sort of government branch,
be it executive or judicial, the occupants belong to. Civic is fairly
general, yes, but certain areas or buildings could have other more specific
tagging.

I'm thinking about the huge variety of government buildings and complexes I
see here in Thailand. There are irrigation offices, municipality offices,
immigration and customs offices, often situated on a campus with ancillary
buildings on the same property surrounded by a wall or fence. To what part
of the government do these belong? I haven't a clue but they are certainly
not retail, or commercial, or industrial. They are all civic in the sense
that they are operated for the good of the people as a whole.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is the problem that "admin" is in the title? That I'm proposing tagging
>> legislative buildings with "admin"?
>>

> yes, that's a point I don't like. If its admin, it is not legislation.
>

>> Do you have a suggestion for a better civic_?  "Government"seems way too
>> broad.
>>

> maybe at that point, a simple "civic" (like you originally proposed) would
> be better, even if then the complement will be "military" and we'll get to
> cases where those 2 conflict / overlap. And with "civic" there should
> likely be judiciary included (no problem for me, still we're just talking
> landuse, and there would be more detailed tags for what it actually is,
> e.g. a courthouse). "civic" on the other hand, sounds much more inclusive
> than what you intend it to be for, e.g. a wastewater treatment plant or a
> public library will maybe also be included (again, no problem maybe, just
> wanted to point it out).
>

>> I think there are a lot of judges that will never get to craft laws or
>> precedents- though they do have some flexibility I how hard or how soft to
>> hit you with the stick, based on you breaking the established rules.
>>

> judges will never craft laws, in their judiciary role, the legislative
> power is crafting laws (they might be members of a parliament and craft
> laws in that role).
>

>> So just roll judicial in and differentiate everything via
>> building/amenity tags?
>>

> maybe yes, but I'd like to read some other opinions as well, seems there
> is not so much interest. I could imagine another type of landuse,
> "cultural", which would include museums, libraries, theatres, movie
> theatres, music venues, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout