[Tagging] Leaf type of "palm" for leaf_type

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Wed Mar 11 06:40:12 UTC 2015

Hi, I hope this helps (and that I’m remembering correctly my education from forestry school in the states),

In taxonomy of trees there are two kinds of families - gymnosperms and angiosperms, commonly called deciduous and coniferous but actually scientifically separated by their reproductive difference not what their leaves look like, do, etc.

More commonly you here layman terms depending on context:
-‘Leaf Type’ (the structure of the leaves): needle, broad and/or palm
-‘Leaf Retention’ (if they fall off or not): evergreen, autumn/broad, and/or Palm
- ‘Wood Type’ (for wood product industry): soft, hard, exotic/ornamental

Maybe we need a key/value for each 'category'; and genus and species is probably best for 'micro-mapping' individual trees or maybe scientific_name=[genus_species] and/or common_name=* example pinus_ponderosa / ponderosa_pine

Wish I had more time to work on a proposal/update/upgrade to the wood/natural tagging, but can help answer questions (was going to chime in about the diameter/crown discussion – there’s a whole slew of measurements and how to make them regarding individual trees versus forest plots/stands, etc.)

Cheers,
=Russ

Russell Deffner