[Tagging] Leaf type of "palm" for leaf_type

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Mar 11 08:09:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Russell Deffner
<russell.deffner at hotosm.org> wrote:
> Hi, I hope this helps (and that I’m remembering correctly my education from forestry school in the states),
>
> In taxonomy of trees there are two kinds of families - gymnosperms and angiosperms, commonly called deciduous and coniferous but actually scientifically separated by their reproductive difference not what their leaves look like, do, etc.
>
> More commonly you here layman terms depending on context:
> -‘Leaf Type’ (the structure of the leaves): needle, broad and/or palm
> -‘Leaf Retention’ (if they fall off or not): evergreen, autumn/broad, and/or Palm
> - ‘Wood Type’ (for wood product industry): soft, hard, exotic/ornamental

Araucariaceae happens to be my favourite gymnosperm, but why get all
technical? The "species=" tag is available for that.
What you've got there is a good looking list of what's easily observed
about an individual tree, which is what most mappers can do.  It's
pretty close to leaf_type/leaf_cycle and wood, minus the palm trees.

Existing land cover databases mostly talk about forests, not trees:
http://bioval.jrc.ec.europa.eu/products/glc2000/legend.php
http://landcover.usgs.gov/classes.php#upland
And mapping individual trees, as many people are doing for whatever
reason, is slightly different.