[Tagging] [Talk-bf] Buildings blocks

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Wed Mar 11 17:04:33 UTC 2015

>> Am 11.03.2015 um 14:59 schrieb Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>:
> I'd only use admin_level if this is really an administrative entity. place and admin are orthogonal.
Yes, thanks for reminding that - let's keep admin_level out of the way
of this discussion.

> Place=plot is fine if these are really one plot, otherwise I'd go for place=block or city_block
Sounds reasonnable to me: place=city_block and/or place=neighborhood (as
I guess there may be cases where a city block is larger than a
neighborhood - so let's not force an unnecessary hierarchy) and then at
the lowest level the place=plot.

To people from francophone West Africa who might read this thread, the
French translation for 'lot' is 'parcelle' - which may or may not be
superposed to its administrative cousin, the 'parcelle cadastrale' which
is the basis for the calculation of municipal taxes.

> ([city_block] will look a bit silly in villages and hamlets)
I thought about that - but then I found that while a block is a synonym
for a city block, it is also an administrative division of some South
Asian countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_%28district_subdivision%29

Wow - looks like we are going to settle the place=block vs.
place=city_block discussion too...

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_block says "the block is
divided into lots" and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_lot says that
'lot' and 'plot' are synonymous... So, well - it all seems to hold
together nicely. Or maybe I have a bad case of confirmation bias...