[Tagging] Current status of the key smoothness=*

Jan van Bekkum jan.vanbekkum at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 06:05:49 UTC 2015

I don't say that the pictures are wrong, but it would be helpful to have
perhaps six representative pictures of every level.

Related question: does the tag only cover uneven ground or also for example
also deep soft sand that may be difficult to cross. The tag surface=sand in
itself doesn't tell much how hard is is to pass. What I am looking for is a
tag that tells me how much trouble I will have passing irrespective of the
importance of the road (highway=*) or the surface.

An extra complexity is that the ease of passing may be season dependent
(wet sand is easier to drive than dry sand), what about seasonal river
crossings (seasonal=yes and ford=yes by itself don't tell the whole story).

"Smoothness" may not be the perfect phrase, but the bottom line question
is: how hard is it to pass with a 2WD, 4WD, motorcycle etc.