[Tagging] Current status of the key smoothness=*

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:00:39 UTC 2015

Hi!

> > No, numeric values are not a good choice - really not. I also don't like
> the values much, but at least it's clear that "good" is better than "bad".
>
> But Martin, its not a "good" or "bad" situation, thats the point. Some
> people seek out extremely challenging roads to traverse. While dead smooth
> is good while getting there, why bother to go there if its going to be
> smooth all the way ?

That's not what I meant. If someone has no idea about the meaning of the
values and just look at the existing tags, one may guess correctly, that
"good" means smoother than "bad". But what is smoother? grade1 or grade5?

And please do not claim that everyone will look in the wiki what the values
actually mean. Please stay realistic ;-)

And to answer the next argument: but if people don't know the exact meaning
and also don't look in the wiki, we can not be sure that they use the
values correctly. Yes. We can also not be sure that they use the values
correctly IF the look in the wiki. But the chances that we get more
appropriate values is much higher with smoothness=good than with
smoothness=grade97, because a "good smoothness" will have a much wider
common understanding than "smoothness=31415whatever".

Best regards,
Martin

P.S: I'm aware that we will not reach consensus about this on this mailing
list ;-)