[Tagging] Toll enforcement devices

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 02:16:59 UTC 2015

On 14/03/2015 11:31 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> OsmAnd was telling me that I was passing a toll_booth on a German
> motorway,
> however it was just one of the camera bridges operated by TollCollect,
> and applicable only for toll:hgv=yes. However toll is not collected when
> passing this point, it is collected for using a certain road segment.
>
> Checking the wiki I found the tagging for toll technology quite
> underdeveloped,
> or do I miss something?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Abarrier%3Dtoll_booth limits
> the use for "A place where a road usage toll or fee is collected",
> which is semantically fine and therefore does not apply to those
> bridges, which
> would be enforcement devices rather collection stations. You pay at
> terminals
> elsewhere.
>
> Thus my next stop was
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:enforcement
> but, interestingly, it does not know yet about toll at all, yet.

No .. enforcement from the wiki is "permanently installed devices that
measure and document traffic violations" a toll is not a traffic violation.
Thus 'enforcement' is for traffic iolations - like speeding, red light
running, tailgating .. basically "breaking a law". Travelling on a toll
road is not "breaking a law" unless you fail to pay - and then you would
not be booked under a traffic law, well not here.

> I know that there are other countries where toll is collected the moment
> you pass under such camera bridges, thus for those cases
> barrier=toll_booth
> seems to be correct.
A toll booth is a physical object .. most automatic toll collection
things have no resemblance to an old toll booth.

> barrier=toll_booth also seems to be abused for tagging paying stations
> for
> parking fees, this seems inappropriate as well? Seems to be
> vending=parking_tickets.

Yes .. but some toll booths may still exist for parking too.

Locally here toll booths exist and are used by the 'National Parks' to
collect entrance fees ... usually only on peak days (holidays, some
weekends).