[Tagging] Toll enforcement devices

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Mar 14 11:11:07 UTC 2015

Warin wrote on 2015-03-14 03:16:
> On 14/03/2015 11:31 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

>> Thus my next stop was https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:enforcement
>> but, interestingly, it does not know yet about toll at all, yet.
>
> No .. enforcement from the wiki is "permanently installed devices that measure and document traffic violations" a toll is not a traffic violation.
> Thus 'enforcement' is for traffic iolations - like speeding, red light running, tailgating .. basically "breaking a law". Travelling on a toll road is not "breaking a law" unless you fail to pay - and then you would not be booked under a traffic law, well
> not here.

thanks for discussing this, but for the way the German system works, these
bridges are exactly doing this - they look for trucks that have _not_ paid
the toll. Toll is paid at terminals, often in fuel stations, or by contract,
and road usage is reported from a GPS based "On Board Unit".

Thus the camera bridges look for trucks that _do_ break the law by not having
used one of the methods for paying.

The English wikipedia page is a bit sparse, the German is more detailed,
and says that these camera bridges are even not allowed to monitor continuously
for data protection reasons, but only here and there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_Collect
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_Collect

>> I know that there are other countries where toll is collected the moment
>> you pass under such camera bridges, thus for those cases barrier=toll_booth
>> seems to be correct.

> A toll booth is a physical object .. most automatic toll collection things have no resemblance to an old toll booth.

Agreed, thus the 'barrier' key should only be used if it is a barrier that stops you.
If it is a 'free-flow' method only, a different description should be found.
Probably a highway node, highway=toll_collection ?

>> barrier=toll_booth also seems to be abused for tagging paying stations for
>> parking fees, this seems inappropriate as well? Seems to be vending=parking_tickets.
>
> Yes .. but some toll booths may still exist for parking too.
>
> Locally here toll booths exist and are used by the 'National Parks' to collect entrance fees ... usually only on peak days (holidays, some weekends).

Well these are parking fees and entrance fees, not toll. Thus toll_booth seems incorrect,
though for the National Park you might be right if it is primarily for driving into the
park vs hiking into it.

> Perhaps a new relation:toll to address the issue... that could have different payment methods,
 > cover a single point (or a line across a highway) or a point to point charge system.

Probably very complicated with little added value. Tagging the road with toll:hgv=yes
is sufficient from my perspective.

tom