[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Sat Mar 14 12:18:06 UTC 2015

On 14.03.2015 12:24, Jan van Bekkum wrote:
> The guideline to determine if a proposal is accepted is
>
> A rule of thumb for "enough support" is /8 unanimous approval votes/ or /15
> total votes with a majority approval/, but other factors may also be
> considered (such as whether a feature is already in use).
>
> This sounds a bit strange to me: a proposal with 8 approval votes and 1
> decline would be rejected, while one with 8 approval votes and 7 declines
> would be accepted.
>
> I suppose that this is what was intended:
>
> "enough support" is 8 approval votes on a total of 14 votes or less and a
> majority approval otherwise.

Yes, this should be reworded as you suggest. The current wording caused
confusion multiple times.

However, we should keep the mention of "other factors ... such as whether a
feature is already in use", especially when it comes to deprecation of
existing tags. I think that this should be even more clearly pointed out. A
majority of 8:7 votes cannot be sufficient for a deprecation of a tag used
by thousands of mappers.