[Tagging] Current status of the key smoothness=*

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:39:54 UTC 2015

This is something worth considering IMO.

We can't seem to come to an agreement on which system to use, numeric or
descriptive, and perhaps part of the problem is the difficulty in deciding
exactly which grade  to pick. Maybe having fewer choices would result in
more agreement and make the tag easier to use.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> So far, nobody has proposed what I have come to think would be the most
>> exact and most usable bit of information a _mapper_ can provide: "Did you
>> get through with transport mode x?" Possible answers are:
>> - no
>> - just barely
>> - with extra effort/concentration/some difficulty
>> - yes
>>

> while I believe this is a working approach, I think it should be (in some
> cases that come to mind) more granual spatially: often ways tend to be not
> uniform but have changing surface and other characteristics along the way,
> so I would split the way into smaller parts with common attributes /
> properties.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout