[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Haul Channel

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Mar 17 08:11:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:01 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/2015 7:57 PM, Steve Doerr wrote:

>>> Humm Why call it a 'channel'? And not 'frequency"?  Might reduce
>>> confusion with CB radio channels?
>>>

>> And why 'haul'? I'm actually having no success finding examples of the
>> phrase 'haul channel' in actual use via Google. Is it short for 'long-haul
>> channel' or something?
>>

> Think it comes from the term 'haul road' . a road built to haul stuff a
> long to a job site. Is there a better term than 'haul' that is used to
> describe such roads?

"Winter roads."  Surprisingly common in the American and Canadian arctic,
though I have no doubt it has significance in other Arctic circle countries
as well, and probably a rare example of where a road might be on a body of
water without any sort of bridge or ford at all on the map.  Also rather
amusing to be following such a road on the map up a river and discover that
the photo was taken during the summer as evidenced by a power boat towing a
water ski (still that just *had* to be cold! We are talking a waterway that
drains to the Arctic ocean after all!) down it!